The Tourist 103 A0 was not officially imported into the USA. However a few were imported by travelers and returning soldiers.
The 103 A0 resembles the 102 A1, except that the 103 A0 has the following differences:
- Engine: The A0 is the first model to incorporate four speeds.
- Forks: The A0 is the first model use the front suspension common to all A0s, A1s and early A2s. The suspension is a telescoping front fork with a single shock on the left hand side.
- Frame: The frame was modified to support the updated fork assembly.
- Handlebar Shifter: The A0 uses a different handlebar shifter that allows for the fourth gear.
- Wheels: The A0 is the first model to have 10" wheels.
- Spare tire bracket: The spare tire bracket was updated to support the new wheel rims.
Click here to see known 103 A0s in North America.
- Motor: Air-cooled, single cylinder four-stroke engine
- Bore/stroke: 60.0 / 61.5 mm
- Valve type: Over head valve
- Capacity: 174 cm³
- Ignition: Battery ignition system "Siba" 12 V - 90W
- Carburetor: "Pallas" 20/14P
- Starter: E-Starter
- Transmission: Four speed manual transmission via Hand shifter. The gear ratios:
- 1st Gear 18.5 : 1
- 2nd Gear 10.6 : 1
- 3rd Gear 7.1 : 1
- 4th Gear 5.13 : 1
- Drive: Chain enclosed in oil bath chain guard
- Chassis: Steel tube framework, telescoping front fork, one-sided swingarm in the back
- Tires: 4.00 x 10"
- Wheel base: 1370 mm
- Length: 2060 mm
- Width: 710 mm
- Height: 1000 mm
- Dry weight: 152 kg
- Total weight: 350 kg
- Consumption / 100km: 2.81
- Maximum speed: 95 km/h
- Price: ?
- Years in production: August 1955 - September 1957
- Number produced: 34,060
The specifications are courtesy of the Heinkel Club Deutschland.
Vielen Danke Heinkel Club Deutschland!