Warning

If you can read this text, you are using an old web browser, or you have style sheet functionality disabled.

This site uses modern browser technology found in Mozilla 1.x +, Firefox 1.x +, Netscape 7.1 +, Opera 7 +, and IE 6+. Layout, links and images will not work as designed with older browsers.

If you are using an old browser, I encourage you to upgrade. If you have style sheet functionality disabled, I encourage you to enable it.

Questions?

Gerry Goldberg's Second A2 Repair Journal

arrow arrow    arrow arrow

by Michael McWilliams

October 28, 2007

Just over twenty six months later, Gerry receives his scooter.

What happened between May 9 and October 28? Too much. On the day following the May 9th picture set, I was riding Gerry's scooter in downtown Colorado Springs. The scooter ran like a top. Then it quit.

Gerry and his scooter. Gerry and his scooter. Gerry and his scooter. Mike and Gerry pose with the scooter.

I suspected the easy stuff - loose plug cap, closed points...something like that. A quick inspection revealed nothing. Additionally, the spark was fabulous and the tank was full of gas. I pushed the scooter home. Luckily, I live less than two miles from downtown.

Later that week, I tested the compression. The cylinder registered a whopping 30lbs. That was the problem. The following weekend I tore down the top end for further inspection. Within minutes I found the trouble - the head gasket was torn.

The Heinkel Club Deutschland sells several types of head gaskets. On this scooter, I had used the paper type gasket. (There are small strands of metal embedded in the gasket.) This gasket came in a set. Knowing that this issue might come up again, I ordered several aluminum gaskets for spares.

In early June I received my gaskets and I rebuilt the top end. An hour later, I was riding the scooter again!

At this point, life was extremely busy. I was preparing for the RollerTour 2007 and I was trying to complete Tegan Mackay's scooter for Amerivespa.

On a subsequent weekend, I tried to start Gerry's scooter and achieved nothing more than a loud "clickity click" from the starter relay. I was able to push start the scooter without trouble. However, the red light wouldn't stop glowing. This is a bad sign - the scooter will no longer charge the battery.

At the same time, Tegan's bike had charging issues and my Glacier Blue A2 also had charging issues! I will spare you the personal drama - at some point I will write up story of the three bad coil assemblies, and the three different repairs that fixed them.

In early September, I found the required time to remove the engine and fix the coil. Armed with good news of the fix, I told Gerry I would ride his scooter for several weeks. I wanted both of us to feel good about the scooter.

I completed 99 miles without any trouble - both problems were solved. Scooter delivery was scheduled for early October.

Project completed!

arrow arrow    arrow arrow

Documentation

Specific Repairs

Repair Journals

Miscellaneous