My Tourist 102 A1

Sage Green. Left hand side. Right hand side. Rear end. Underneath, right hand side. Front end. Front end. Engine, left hand side. Engine, right hand side. Unusual muffler tip. Scooter, LHS. Scooter, LHS. Engine, LHS. Engine, LHS. Engine, RHS. Engine, RHS. Scooter, RHS. Engine mounting studs.

February 2, 2009.

In the latter part of 2008, I had the opportunity to purchase this 1955 102 A1 from Gerald Nelson. Gerry wrote an amazing article about this scooter.

To sum up the story, Gerry bought the scooter from the original owner and within 3 weeks, it was stolen. Fast forward 2 years, and he gets the scooter back!

It gets better.

The guy that had it during the interim (not the thief) researched the scooter and had plans to restore it. he contacted John Gerber and received many letters from John. The entire journal of this scooter's life was kept and given to me with the purchase. Truely amazing.

The models that preceded the 103 A1 and 103 A2 are vastly different. The main visual cue is the chrome handlebar. Just below is a console containing a speedometer and an optional windup clock.

If you continue looking for differences, you will discover that the shifter cables connect to a box mounted on the underside of the floorboard. This box contains a pivoting lever. The lever connects to a rod that ultimately connects to the gear mechanism on the underside of the engine.

If you are familiar with the fork configuration of the 103 A0 (and later models), you will notice that this scooter has a vastly different fork setup.

One last thing, this model has 8" wheels. Most Tourists had 10" wheels.

I have posted several photos of the scooter, and more will follow...

February 22, 2009.

I was lucky to get two days of tinkering in my garage this weekend. I thought it would be good to remove a bit of sheet metal and clean up the frame and all of the metal.

I have not decided if I will restore the scooter or not. I now have two friends that will openly call me names if I paint this machine. The tail section has original paint, but the nose and leg shield were definitely repainted. I think the leg shield was damaged at some point and the owner painted both sections to make it less obvious. I've looked under the nose, and it appears to be free of any damage.

The paint will come off easily with acetone. I am tempted to wipe it all off. The problem, of course, is what will I find on the legshield. It might be a real mess. I will wait to do all of this until I have more time on my hands.

I had most of the body work off within 15 minutes. The less glamorous task was to scrub the frame and forks. My friend Klaus Kutsche tells me that this ivory color on the frame, forks, tank and engine shrouds is "Grundierung." Primer auf Deutsch. Klaus wanted me to know that this should not be glossy. That is something to remember if I ever powder coat the undersides.

It is difficult to describe all differences between this scooter and a 103A1 or 103A2. There are so many. I have provided many pictures to keep you gazing.

One obvious difference is the mounting of the engine. There are four studs that stick out horizontally from the engine block. These studs are inserted into the frame behind the battery tray. In most of these pictures, the battery tray has been removed.

Another interesting difference is the fact that you CAN remove the flywheel cover while the engine is in the frame. On a 103A1 and 103A2, you must remove the entire engine assembly to access the flywheel. As all Heinkel owners know, the points are on the outside of the flywheel - and can be adjusted while the motor is running. The real reason to get behind the flywheel is to replace the carbon brushes.

That's enough for tonight...

March 29, 2009.

I received the last box of parts a few weeks ago. I was waiting on three key items so that I could tear into the front end:

Whenever I repack the front fork bearings, I generally order a new set. Inevitably, I drop bearings. It is better to start with a fresh set. The set consists of 66 loose 5mm balls - 33 on top, and the same below. That job was easy.

The tricky job was to install the rubber boot. This piece can be installed only when the fork is removed from the frame. I used a clamp to compress the forks so that the securing straps could be more easily installed on the top and bottom. When I say more easily, I don't actually mean it was easy. This job was a colossal pain.

My friend Simon stopped by and helped. All in all, I think it took us over an hour to get this installed.

After the fork was rebuilt and installed, I began work on the hub. I ordered a new right hand side because the front brake adjustment bracket was broken. Luckily, the Heinkel Club Deutschland has these used items in stock.

This day's work ended in a functional 102 A1. A satisfying day indeed. Next up, valve and point adjustments and then I should be ready to ride...

Image Categories

Jump To